The quilt was small enough that I also decided to try piecing together some cotton batting. I've always felt like it was a terrible waste throwing away all those extra pieces, so I've kept some of the bigger ones (using the smaller ones for some of my girls' smaller projects) and decided to give it a go.
Turns out that it's a lot easier than it looks! (Actually, it's about as easy as you'd think.) Just using a simple zig zag stitch is enough to keep the two pieces together. (Full marks, however, for the careful observer: notice anything wrong with the first picture? NEITHER DID I! I was all ready to zig and to zag, but forgot to change my presser foot. That right there is a #37. You'll need another one if you don't want to break your needle, as I did.) But then you stitch away, and you have a not-very-noticeable joined piece of batting.
I joined together four different pieces to make a full piece of quilt-sized batting, which is great, except then I had to baste it (see my very first post for diatribe on basting).
I only used the dark thread on the bottom left seam, the other two seams (you can see the puckers a little) are with a matching thread.
And here, post-baste, is the quilt partially marked and ready to start quilting. More to come!
Now why didn't I think of that before? I followed a book's instructions that told me to do it by hand and like a dummy I did what it said. Next time I will use zig zag (and change my presser foot accordingly!)
ReplyDelete