Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Measure Twice, Cut Once

It is such an honor to be a part of someone else's quilt.  But it's also more than a little bit humbling to start cutting up someone else's fabric.  Nerve-jangling, in fact.  You're thinking to yourself, over and over, "I cannot screw this up," which will almost certainly lead to devastation.  So it's a lot of counting (was that really two-and-seven-eighths inches? better just check one more time), and wincing on that first cut.

But even with all my very best and exacting measuring, I couldn't get quite the number of triangles and squares that I needed for our May Queen's Crown of Thorns block, so off I headed this morning to the City Quilter, where my New York's Grandest Ladies of Fabric helped me out.

I added a little of this from my stash:



And procured this from the CQ:


It was about as hard as I thought it would be to buy fabric for someone I've never met, but I really think this one is very beautiful, and has some of the qualities of the pieces she sent me.  I certainly hope she does too!

Here it is, all cut out and ready to sew:


Next up from Agitprop Quilting: why can't I take a decent picture?

No comments:

Post a Comment